Can't get pointer in game "Against the Storm"

Memory scanning, code injection, debugger internals and other gamemodding related discussion
FearFusion
Noobzor
Noobzor

Can't get pointer in game "Against the Storm"

Post by FearFusion »

I'm trying to find the pointer to "Amber" (money) in the game, I've generated two pointer maps but nothing's coming up.

Steps:
1. Start a new game, find the address of the value.

2. Generate pointermap for it (save it).

3. Close the game.
4. Start a new game, find the address of the value.

5. Generate pointermap for this new value (save it).
6. Close the game.
7. Start a new game, find the address of the value.
8. Do a pointerscan for the new address.
9. Choose "Compare results with saved pointermap(s)" and chose the two saved pointermaps and the addresses in them.
10. See 0 results.

Note1: On Step 9 I also tried to choose only one pointermap for "Compare results [...]" and used the other for the option "Use saved pointermap".

Same result.

Note2: There was more then 1 address result for that value but I chose the one that, when changed, made the others change to its value.

What am I doing wrong?

ValenH
Cheater
Cheater

Re: Can't get pointer in game "Against the Storm"

Post by ValenH »

Why pointermap? This feature shouldn't be used :)
Just jump to the instruction that changes this value and track it backwards until you find the functions.

FearFusion
Noobzor
Noobzor

Post by FearFusion »

ValenH wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2023 8:21 pm
Why pointermap? This feature shouldn't be used :)
Just jump to the instruction that changes this value and track it backwards until you find the functions.
I'd love to do that but I'm having trouble understanding the register offsets and such, so I end up not making sense of the assembly code.

Paul44
Table Makers
Table Makers

Post by Paul44 »

^^ @FearFusion: i'm more of a 'pointer scan'- man myself; don't ask, don't know :)

prenote: i assume that manually changing the amber_value actually happens correctly (not just visually). iow once the value is updated, and you consume some, it will be decremented from 'your' new value ?!

anywho: try 'pointer scan' for a change; and some tips while i'm at it:
a. enable 'first element struct point to module'; if nothing pops up (which rarely happens), disable
b. start with default 'max different offset' = 'max level' = 5; if nothing pops up, or just minimal, increase (comes with HD "price" btw)
c. 'max offset value': i only touch/increase this if nothing at all is returned via a) and/or b); usually needed with specific games such as (some) COD series.
d. perform plenty of restart_game & reboots to clean up them tables...
=> keep in mind that these scans will eventually get empty/die; hence them scripts (~ dynamic memory et al).

ps: creating/evaluating a data structure is 'MUST KNOW' knowledge, if you plan to spend time in this arena. and btw nothing really complex about it; just some basic experience to get around...

FearFusion
Noobzor
Noobzor

Post by FearFusion »

Paul44 wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2023 5:11 pm
^^ @FearFusion: i'm more of a 'pointer scan'- man myself; don't ask, don't know :)

prenote: i assume that manually changing the amber_value actually happens correctly (not just visually). iow once the value is updated, and you consume some, it will be decremented from 'your' new value ?!

anywho: try 'pointer scan' for a change; and some tips while i'm at it:
a. enable 'first element struct point to module'; if nothing pops up (which rarely happens), disable
b. start with default 'max different offset' = 'max level' = 5; if nothing pops up, or just minimal, increase (comes with HD "price" btw)
c. 'max offset value': i only touch/increase this if nothing at all is returned via a) and/or b); usually needed with specific games such as (some) COD series.
d. perform plenty of restart_game & reboots to clean up them tables...
=> keep in mind that these scans will eventually get empty/die; hence them scripts (~ dynamic memory et al).

ps: creating/evaluating a data structure is 'MUST KNOW' knowledge, if you plan to spend time in this arena. and btw nothing really complex about it; just some basic experience to get around...
Thanks!
I thought generating a pointer map was the same as doing a pointer scan just more automated?

Where can I read more on creating/evaluating a data structure?

Crashyyy
Cheater
Cheater

Post by Crashyyy »

you can also Use Pointer Script