Reading Memory Viewer to Understand the Underlying Item

Memory scanning, code injection, debugger internals and other gamemodding related discussion
Cadmium
What is cheating?
What is cheating?

Reading Memory Viewer to Understand the Underlying Item

Post by Cadmium »

Hi Guys, I've been tinkering around with CE and ran into a unique problem that hasn't really been solved by browsing the forums and google.

The issue revolves around a lot of the guessing portions of some single player games out there.
For instance, we have single player games that have loot boxes or pick one out of three items with their corresponding value (I.e different amounts of gold). If someone wanted to modify their gold amount, that'd be pretty simple since you can input pre-opening gold and then search for post-opening gold

So I've been looking at one particular simulation. It's a pretty simple challenge of a guessing game. The premise is something along the lines of a shell game (two blanks and one shell in a cup) with hit points ( 3 HP) attached to each cup. game start and you get three cups, you see whats under each of your cups, and you don't get to see what's under the AI's cups. Each turn you get to stab two cups, dealing one damage each, and the AI gets to do the same after. I've been looking at a challenge to figure out, pre-emtively, whats under the cup .

I've so far found out a good deal of info.

I could trace the HP of these cups which spawn, derive the pointer that "displays' all of the hp markers, then monitor that pointer address to pump out all the addresses of the cup hp the second the round starts. Then I opened the structure of one of these hp addresses, did -4, and got a whole wave of lines (4 byte) and a few pointers that opened up massive amounts of 4 byte lines and pointers.
I added more addresses of HP to cross compare and see which lines matched up. and Now I'm truly lost.

I can't read, but I have a nice color coder that tells me what's the same, what's different inside the group, and what's different when compared to other groups.

I've asked the internet for advice and most people either 1. know the answer but have no time, or 2. have time but don't know the answer.
If anyone could PM me and give some pointers (haha) on what to do next, I'd really appreciate it and would love to reimburse for the wisdom.

seikur0
Code Alchemist
Code Alchemist

Re: Reading Memory Viewer to Understand the Underlying Item

Post by seikur0 »

This might help: *([Link])

Cadmium
What is cheating?
What is cheating?

Re: Reading Memory Viewer to Understand the Underlying Item

Post by Cadmium »

Thanks Seikur0!

I've been reading into the different pointers that show up during my scan, and the structure spider will probably help. I've also identified the asset class? that is for fake shells and real shells, but it's just a jumble of assets all lied up together.

Will report back if it works!