Cheat Engine Tutorial Guide (x32) - Part 1

Section's for general approaches on hacking various options in games. No online-related discussions/posts OR warez!
TimFun13
Expert Cheater
Expert Cheater

Post by TimFun13 »

[Link]

for 64 bit see: [Link]

So let's go through the Cheat Engine Tutorial (x32).

So open Cheat Engine, then in the main menu select help then select Cheat Engine Tutorial.

[Link]

Then attach to the Cheat Engine Tutorial process, it should be 'Tutorial-i386.exe'.

If unsure how to attach to the process see: [Link]

Step 1

When the tutorial launches you should see some thing like this, you can just click the next button after reading the help text.

Save the password in later steps in case of crashes (from injections) and for restarting at a later time.

[Link]

Step 2

So for step 2 you will see some thing like this.

[Link]

What we need to find is the health, and here it's an integer.

So setup the memory scanner to find an integer and for exact value scan then set the value to the current health value, most integers will be stored in a 4 byte variable, so let's start there. Note: Integers can be stored in a 1 byte variable (byte), 2 byte variable (int16/short), 4 byte variable (int32/int), or 8 byte variable (int64/long). When ready click the first scan button.

[Link]

You should see a list of addresses, in the found address list, like this.

[Link]

Now Click the hit me button, then reenter the current value and click the next scan button.

Note the red value in the list, this shows that the value has changed.

[Link]

After clicking next scan you may need to keep clicking hit me and rescanning tell the found address list is small enough to work with.

[Link]

Just double click the address in the found list to add it to the cheat table. Then change the value and freeze the address, double click the value in the address list to edit it, freeze it by clicking the enabler/freeze box.

[Link]

Now the next button should be enabled, click it to go to the next step. Click the hit me button again if the next button is not enabled already.

Step 3

When you start step 3 you should see the form looking like this.

[Link]

Like the help text said make sure to click the new scan button before starting new scans.

[Link]

This clears the found results to start scanning for a new value.

Here is where I suggest going ahead and clicking the hit me button, just to see how the value is decreased to help in determining what value type to scan for.

[Link]

Note that the value was decreased by an integer, that is a non fractional number.

So I would setup the scanner for 4 bytes and unknown initial value. Then click the first scan button.

[Link]

Now click the hit me button.

Then set the scan type to decreased value and click the nest scan button.

[Link]

Note the number of found addresses, this is kinda small for most games these days, the found results can easily be in the millions for most games.

Now just keep decreasing the value with the hit me button, and scanning for a decreased value, until the found results is small enough to work with.

[Link]

Now we just pick an address and change the value to see if it has the desired effect, this is just how it works.

Here is where I suggest that you always note the values (or just Ctrl+C) before changing them to set them back if they are not the right value, to keep from changing a bunch of unknown addresses and corrupting your save files when doing this in games.

The next button should become enabled as soon as you set the value to 5000. After changing the value and clicking the hit me button the progress bar should fill, but this is not needed.

[Link]

Now the next button should be enabled, click it to go to the next step. Click the hit me button again if the next button is not enabled already.

Step 4

When you start step 4 you should see the form looking like this.

[Link]

So click the new scan button. Then setup the scanner for a float, exact value, enter the current health value.

When setup click the first scan button.

[Link]

So just scan like before to find the health address, then add it to the address list.

Now click the new scan button again. Then setup the scanner for a double, exact value, enter the current ammo value.

When setup click the first scan button.

[Link]

So just scan like before to find the ammo address, then add it to the address list.

Now change the values to 5000, then the next button should become enabled. Then click the next button to progress to the next step.

Continued: Cheat Engine Tutorial Guide (x32) - Part 2
Last edited by TimFun13 on Tue May 01, 2018 12:54 am, edited 5 times in total.