Stealthedit plugin for dealing with memory checks (Last update: 21th May, 2012)

Section's for general approaches on hacking various options in games. No online-related discussions/posts OR warez!
virusposter
What is cheating?
What is cheating?

Re: Stealthedit plugin for dealing with memory checks (Last update: 21th May, 2012)

Post by virusposter »

Here's the most recent version (still old, but works with 6.7)

password: somes3ecretp8s0wd
Attachments
stealthedit.rar
(1.4 MiB) Downloaded 2043 times

jaksropo
What is cheating?
What is cheating?

Re: Stealthedit plugin for dealing with memory checks (Last update: 21th May, 2012)

Post by jaksropo »

Hello, dude. can you share the source code of stealth edit?

film189
What is cheating?
What is cheating?

Post by film189 »

thank ser

StakFallT
What is cheating?
What is cheating?

Post by StakFallT »

This plugin was made to deal with memory integrity checks that you may find in single player games sometimes. If a game has such protection, it will scan the game codes in the memory and in case it will find some difference compared to the original codes, it will usually just crash the game.
-- STN

Not sure if it's been mentioned here or not, but Wizardry 8 is a BIG culprit of this crap. It's weird because I don't recall seeing it mentioned anywhere (not just here, but anywhere really), but everytime I've used cheat engine on it and make a change to a value, the game automatically goes to a Falcon Northwest ad that when you click to get past, the game then auto-closes. I'm guessing it's a game-exit ad that occurs every time you exit the game (I can't recall, been a long while since I played the game), and I remember there were only trainers for like version 1.00 (or something like that) and version 1.01 is the version on my disc (and Steam I think as well since I bought the collection there also). And it's not just once every now and then like the game just got confused and "inflated its airbags", no; it was consistent. everytime.

Sorry to add to an aging post (especially as my 1st post :/), but I kinda wanted to document that game as falling into the case of some sort of memory integrity check in case someone else is doing internet searches trying to find info on the very thing I was dealing with (i.e. you're not alone, it's not you :)) I could have created a new topic, but it seems like it would be an "empty" post to create a new topic just for that, especially when I personally feel like it fits better here since this plugin deals with the very thing I'm documenting :)

Come to think of it, if the point of the memory integrity check is to prevent crackers, I wonder if a cracked copy wouldn't have that issue... It's not like I don't own (at this point) two copies of it.

Disclaimer: It MAY have changed since then (i.e. there may be trainers out there for the 1.01? version), I don't know. As I mentioned, it's been a long while since I played the game, but last I played it, it was that way and it sucked because I was on a store-bought copy of the game (pressed-disc) and didn't have access to an earlier version short of maybe downloading an older executable off the net somewhere.